CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Mrs. Duggins' Doodlebugs

Friday, July 6, 2012

Dusting off the blog– freebie alert!

Okay, ya’ll .. I can’t believe it’s been so long since I’ve blogged. This past school year was the year of “all new” and I must admit that blogging just fell off the priority list.

This last year, I looped up to 1st grade with my previous Kinders and it was an amazing experience! For me personally, it was learning a new grade level, a new teaching team, a new math curriculum, a new administration, a new evaluation system to learn and moving into the Common Core. Sound like fun?? It was definitely a challenge, but in the end it was a great year of learning and stretching myself to try new things. Anyone else have a year like that?

Even with all the changes, I have to admit that I caught the serious Pinterest bug! I just cannot stay off of it – there are just so many great ideas out there to try and to share. I’m pretty sure that the idea I’m going to share with you originated from Pinterest, although I’m not sure it’s original contributor. Either way, it’s a great idea and this is my spin on Word Work plates…

Blog pics 007

When I was walking the aisles of Walmart today looking for school supplies, I found these awesome divided plates for $1 each and I immediately thought Word Work! (I saw them in white, turquoise and green) I came home and whipped up some letter tiles – consonants are black and vowels are red. You could even add diagraphs and blend cards if you wanted to make it more interesting!

Students can build words using the tiles, just print on cardstock and laminate. If you think you can use this in your classroom, please feel free to click on the picture above to get your copy of the letter tiles.

I’d love to hear what you think! How will you use them in your classroom?
Kelie

12 comments:

  1. Oh this is such a great idea! I have to head to Walmart to get a treasure box that I heard they have & I must add this to my list. Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this before, but I'm adding it to my list of things to try this year for word work!
    Storie
    Stories by Storie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey gals - so glad these will work for you! I tell you what, Pinterest is the best, isn't it? I can't wait to share what I've made for Made it Monday! Thanks again for your sweet comments!

    Kelie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! It would also work for teaching part/part/ whole in math.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know I'm not the only one who felt off the blogging map this year. But I too got addicted to Pinterest, probably because it really took little to no effort but was so very valuable. Welcome back!

    Cindy
    Blog Stalker
    http://teacherblogstalker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clicking on the picture doesn't take me to a copy of the letters. Instead it takes me to Google Drive. I'm pinning your blog so I'll check back again. Thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lin - I just checked the link. It's working for me on my end. Can you try again and let me know if it's working for you? Do you have a Google Docs account? Thanks for giving me the heads up - hopefully it will work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this activity and immediately printed it out for my kindergarten son! I just used a divided plate we had in our cupboard already. He was so excited! I printed out another set of letter cards because he wanted to make bigger words! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use the same type of plates (though mine were 2 for a $1 in the baby section of the Dollar Tree). I love the literacy twist. I use mine in math for part part whole--addition and subtraction. I am definitely printing the letters and using them next week. I am also a Pinterest junkie with serious addiction issues, which is how I found your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea. Can't wait to use it this year

    ReplyDelete